Curityba do Parana, Diocese of (CURYTUBENSIS DE PARANA), suffragan of Sao Sebastiao (Rio de Janeiro), Brazil. The city of Curityba, on the Iguazil River, was settled in 1654 and became the capital of the State of Parana in 1831. It lies in a fertile plain 3200 feet above sea-level, and has gold mines in the vicinity. Erected by Bull of Leo XIII, “Ad Universas” (April 27, 1892), the Diocese of Curityba embraces the states of Parana and Santa Catarina, an area of 114,087 sq. m., and contains a Catholic population of 600,900, with 69 parishes, 68 secular and 21 regular priests, 2 religious orders of men and 3 of women, 1 seminary, 2 colleges, and 1 Catholic school with an attendance of 350.
F. M. RUDGE