Italian diocese comprising twenty-two communes in the province of Sassari
Alghero, an Italian diocese comprising twenty-two communes in the province of Sassari, and four in that of Cagliari, Archdiocese of Sassari. The city was built by the Doria of Genoa in 1102. In 1106 John, Bishop of Alghero, assisted at the consecration of the Church of the Trinity in Sacargia. After a long period of decadence, the see was renewed and confirmed by Julius II in his Bull of 1503. Pietro Parens, a Genoese, became bishop; he was present at the Lateran Council in 1512, from the first to the seventh session. It contains 20 parishes, 71 secular priests, 54,300 inhabitants.
Enjoying this content?Please support our mission!Donate