Alagoas, the Diocese of.—A South American diocese, in eastern Brazil, dependent on Bahia. By a decree of Leo XIII, Postremis hisce temporibus, July 2, 1900, it was separated from the Diocese of Olinda. It comprises the State of Alagoas, bounded by Pernambuco on the north and northwest, the Atlantic on the southeast, and Sergipe on the southwest. Area, 22,583 square miles. Population (1890), 648,009. Monsignor Castilho de Brandao, the first bishop, who resides at Maceio, the capital, a town of 12,000 inhabitants, was consecrated at Belem de Para, September 7, 1894, and transferred to this see, June 5, 1901.
JOHN J. A’ BECKET