Click to enlarge
Ascalon, a titular see of Palestine whose episcopal list (351-930 or 40) is given in Gams (p. 453). It was one of the five chief cities of the Philistines (Josue, xiii, 3). Its location, on the sea-coast between Gaza and Jamnia, made it a stronghold, and as such it was held by the Arabs after their conquest of it in the seventh century. The city was taken by the crusaders, but was destroyed, in 1270, by Sultan Bibars, and its port blocked up to prevent the place ever again falling into Christian hands. Its extensive ruins still remain, and present a scene of mournful desolation.
More from Catholic.com
Enjoying this content? Please support our mission!Donate