Agram (Zagrabia), also ZAGRAB, archiepiscopal see of the ancient kingdom of Croatia, in Austria, founded towards the end of the eleventh century as a suffragan of Kalocsa in Hungary, and made an archdiocese in 1852. Its Latin Catholic population is 1,319,367; there are 1,877 Greek Catholics, 118,304 Greek Schismatics, 9,573 Protestants, and 11,929 Jews, besides a few Mohommedans. Agram has 348 parishes, served by 615 secular and 66 regular priests. The episcopal city (20,000) is pleasantly located in a broad plain, near the Save, and is surrounded to the north and west by vineclad hills. The castlelike residence of the archbishop and the medieval Gothic cathedral, with its sacristy (itself a church), are remarkable monuments. There are three suffragan sees: Bosnia-Syrmia (with residence at Djakovar). Senj (Zengg, Segnia), and Krizevac (Koros, Kriz, Kreutz). The vernacular of the people is the Croatian tongue. Agram possesses a university for the southern Slays, opened in 1874, owing chiefly to the endeavors and sacrifices of Bishop Strossmayer of Djakovar. There are also an archiepiscopal seminary and a college for boys, besides a Greek Catholic seminary and gymnasium. Among the ecclesiastical institutes of Agram is the “Piarum summarum praefectura”, a fund of about one million dollars (1882), the interest of which is devoted to the support of establishments of charity and beneficence.
THOMAS J. SHAHAN