<img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=1906385056278061&ev=PageView&noscript=1" />
Skip to main content Accessibility feedback

Vicariate Apostolic of Bagamoyo

German East African vicariate

Click to enlarge

Bagamoyo, Vicariate Apostolic of, in German East Africa, separated by a pontifical Decree of May 11, 1906, from the Vicariate Apostolic of Northern Zanzibar. The Catholics number 14,728 (in all German East Africa there are about 6,700,000 natives, most of whom belong to mixed tribes of the Bantu race). The mission is cared for by the Congregation of the Holy Ghost and the Immaculate Heart of Mary (52) and by the Trappists (8), aided by two congregations of women: Filles de Marie (7), and Sisters of the Precious Blood, formerly Trappistines (28). The first vicar Apostolic, Rt. Rev. Franz Xavier Vogt, of the Congregation of the Holy Ghost, was elected July 25, 1906. There are 15 churches and chapels, 15 stations with medical service, 15 orphanages, 6 industrial, or trade, and agricultural, schools, 71 schools with 7,574 native pupils, 2 leper stations, and 2 hospitals. The vicar Apostolic resides at Bagamoyo, a small seaport town near the mouth of Kingani, opposite the Island of Zanzibar, and the center of the telegraph and cable systems of the colony. (See Africa.)

THOMAS J. SHAHAN


Enjoying this content?  Please support our mission! Donate