Physician; b. at Martinsburg, Va. (now W. Va.), November 21, 1817; d. Baltimore, Md., October 7, 1885
McSherry, RICHARD, physician; b. at Martinsburg, Va. (now W. Va.), November 21, 1817; d. Baltimore, Md., October 7, 1885, son of Dr. Richard McSherry. He was educated at Georgetown College and at the University of Maryland, and received the degree of M. D. at the University of Pennsylvania in 1841. Being appointed assistant surgeon on the medical corps of the U.S. Army on August 21, 1838, he served under General Taylor in the Seminole War and resigned his commission on April 30, 1840. He married in 1842 a daughter of Robert Wilson of Baltimore. From 1843 to 1856 he served as assistant surgeon in the U.S. Navy, and after that practiced medicine in Baltimore until 1883. He was the first president of the Baltimore Academy of Medicine, of which he was also one of the founders. Dr. McSherry contributed to medical Journals, and was also the author of “El Puchero, or a Mixed Dish from Mexico” (1850); “Essays” (1869), and “Health and How to Promote It” (1883).
J. P. W. MCNEAL