Church historian and canonist, first Cardinal-Prefect of the Vatican Archives, b. 1824; d. 1890
Hergenrother, JOSEPH, church historian and canonist, first Cardinal-Prefect of the Vatican Archives, b. at Wurzburg, September 15, 1824; d. at Mehrerau (Bodensee), October 3, 1890. He was the second son of Johann Jacob Hergenrother, professor of medicine in the University of Wurzburg. In 1842 Hergenrother completed with notable success his gymnasium course in his native town, and entered the University of Wurzburg to take up a two-year course of philosophical studies, to which he added certain branches of theology. His historical tendencies exhibited themselves at this early age in a dramatic poem entitled “Papst Gregor VII” (Wurzburg, 1841). Bishop von Stahl took a lively interest in the promising youth, and in 1844 sent him to the Collegium Germanicum at Rome, whither he had already sent Denzinger and Hettinger. Among his scholarly teachers were Perrone and Passaglia in doctrinal theology, Tomei in moral theology, Ballerini in church history, Patrizi in Scriptural exegesis, and Marzio in canon law. The political troubles of 1848 prevented the completion of his theological studies at Rome; he was ordained to the priesthood March 28 of that year, and returned to Wurzburg, where he pursued his ecclesiastical preparation for another year. In 1849 he was appointed chaplain at Zellingen, and for some time devoted himself with zeal to the duties of his office. In 1850 he stood successfully for the degree of doctor of theology before the University of Munich, and offered as his dissertation a treatise on the Trinitarian teaching of St. Gregory Nazianzen (Die Lehre von der gottlichen Dreieinigkeit nach d. heil. Gregor von Nazianz, Ratisbon, 1850). The brilliant qualities of the young doctor induced the theological faculty of Munich to offer him a place as instructor (privatdocent) in theology, which he accepted. Following ancient usage, he justified the confidence of the university by a printed thesis (Habilitationschrift) on the later Protestant theories of the origins of the Catholic Church (De catholicae ecclesiae primordiis recentiorum Protestantium systemata expenduntur, Ratisbon, 1851). Henceforth he devoted himself without reserve to his professional duties. In 1852 he was called to Wurzburg, as professor extraordinary of canon law and church history; after three years (1855) he was promoted to the full possession of that chair. To his other duties he added the teaching of patrology. In those years Wurzburg rejoiced in the possession of such brilliant theologians as Hettinger, Denzinger, Hahnlein, and Hergenrother; their reputation spread far and wide the fame of this old Franconian school. Hergenrother was often honored by election to the office of dean of his faculty, and occasionally to the University Senate; the latter office he never held after 1871, because of his opposition to Dollinger. For a similar reason he was never chosen to be rector of the university. Until 1869 Hergenrother was occupied as teacher and writer, chiefly with early Christian and Byzantine ecclesiastical history. The discovery (1851) of the Greek Christian text known as the Philosophoumena led him to examine its disputed authorship in a series of studies in the “Tubinger Theol. Quartalschrift” (1852) and in the supplementary volume (1856) to the first edition of the “Kirchenlexikon” of Wetzer and Welte. He again defended the authorship of Hippolytus in the “Oesterreichische Vierteljahrschrift f. kath. Theol.” (1863).
Hergenrother was especially interested in the career of Photius and in the origins of the Greek Schism, and kept up continuous research in the principal libraries for manuscripts of the works of Photius, in order to exhibit the original materials in as perfect a text as could be established. This led to the publication (Ratisbon, 1857) of the work, “Photii Constantinopolitani Liber de Spiritus Sancti mystagogia.” He contributed essays on the same work and on the “Amphilochia” of Photius to the “Tub. Theol. Quartalschrift” (1858). In 1860 appeared at Paris the Migne edition of “Photius” (P.G., CI—CIV). It offered many textual emendations that were owing to Hergenrother, particularly in the “Amphilochia”; it was against his will that his earlier edition of the “Liber de Sp. Sancti mystagogia” was reprinted by Migne. When Pichler‘s work on the history of the separation of the Eastern and Western Churches appeared (Munich, 1864), Hergenrother was prepared to criticize it in the most thorough manner, which he did in a series of studies in a Wurzburg theological periodical, the “Chilianeum” (1864-65), and in the “Archiv f. kath. Kirchenrecht” (1864-65). The results of his twelve years of research in the history of the Greek Schism appeared finally in the classical work, “Photius Patriarch von Constantinopel, sein Leben, seine Schriften, und das griechische Schisma” (3 vols., Ratisbon, 1867-69). An additional volume bears the title: “Monumenta Graeca ad Photium ejusque historiam pertinentia” (Ratisbon). In this monumental work it is difficult to say whether the palm belongs to the author’s extensive knowledge of all the manuscript material, to his profound erudition, or to his calm objective attitude. Krumbacher, the historian of Byzantine literature, says that the work cannot be surpassed. In these volumes Hergenrother laid bare in minute detail the origins of the Byzantine Church, its development since the fourth century, and after the death of Photius until the unfortunate completion of the schism in the twelfth and thirteenth centuries.
While professor of canon law at Wurzburg, Hergenrother published several important historico-canonical essays on such subjects as early ecclesiastical reordinations (Oester. Vierteljahrsch. f. kath. Theol., 1862), the canonical relations of the various rites in the Catholic Church (Archiv f. kath. Kirchenrecht, 1862), the politico-ecclesiastical relations of Spain and the Holy See (ibid., 1863-66), and the canon law of the Greeks to the end of the ninth century (ibid., 1870). His interest in the ecclesiastical vicissitudes of his own day was manifested by valuable essays on the States of the Church after the French Revolution (Hist.—polit. Blatter, 1859), spirit of the age (Zeitgeist) and papal sovereignty (Der Katholik, 1861), and the Franco-Sardinian Treaty (Frankfort, 1865). Among his historico-apologetic essays we may count his treatises on the modern errors condemned by the Holy See in the Encyclical (Syllabus) of December 8, 1864 (in the Chilianeum, 1865), the veneration of the Blessed Virgin in the first ten centuries of the Christian Era (Munster, 1870). He was a regular contributor of similar but briefer articles to the Wurzburg periodicals, “Die katholische Wochenschrift” and the “Chilianeum”. Hergenrother was constantly engaged in attempting to develop a genuine Catholic sentiment and truly Christian life among the faithful. He preached frequently, and was always a welcome speaker at the general assemblies of the German Catholic associations (Vereine; 1863-77). For the Fulda meeting of the Prussian bishops (1870) he prepared an exhaustive historical study on the spoliation of the Papal States, in which he developed at length the arguments for the temporal power of the papacy.
Together with other Catholics of prudence and insight, Hergenrother deplored the attitude that certain Catholic theologians assumed from about 1860, in particular that of the celebrated historian Dollinger. The latter’s work “Kirche and Kirchen, Papsttum and Kirchenstaat” (1861) was criticized by Hergenrother in “Der Katholik”. At the Munich meeting of Catholic savants (1863), Hergenrother was one of the eight who sent in a written protest against the opening discourse of Dollinger on the past and present of Catholic theology. Among the other signers were Heinrich Moufang von Schazler, Haffner, Philipps, Hettinger, and Scheeben. Hergenrother was soon called on to answer the pamphlet of Dr. Michelis, “Kirche oder Partei? Ein offenes u. freies Wort an den deutschen Episkopat” (Church or Faction? A Frank Address to the German Episcopate), in which this writer attacked violently the “Mainz” and the “Roman” theologians. Hergenrother’s answer appeared in the “Chilianeum” (1865) under the title of “Kirche u. nicht Partei. Eine Antwort auf die jungste Broschure des Herrn Dr. Fr. Michelis!’ (Church and not Faction: an Answer to the latest Brochure of Dr. Michelis). In the same review (1863) Hegenrother had written a critical account of the latest efforts of Western Catholics for ecclesiastical reunion with the Oriental Churches.
The opening of the Vatican Council (1870) brought to a head the domestic conflict in Germany. Hergenrother was the foremost defender of the council and its decrees; as early as 1868 he had been appointed, with Hettinger, consultor for the preparation of the council’s work and had taken up his residence at Rome. His inexhaustible knowledge of ecclesiastical history, canon law, and Catholic dogma made him a valuable co-laborer in the many careful and detailed preliminary meetings of the council commission. In the meantime he prepared, with Hettinger, and published in the “Chilianeum” (1869) a memorial of the theological faculty of Wurzburg in reply to five questions, submitted by the Bavarian Government, concerning the approaching council. He also published (Der Katholik, 1871) another outlined memorial concerning the Vatican Council, in reply to eleven questions submitted by the Bavarian Minister of Worship to the theological and law faculties of Wurzburg. This memorial, though projected, was never formally called for by the Government. The opposition to the Vatican Council reached its acme in the notorious work, “Der Papst and das Concil”, by “Janus” (Dollinger). In the same year (1869) Hergenrother prepared his “Anti-Janus”, an historico-theological critique (Freiburg, 1870). He also published a number of small brochures in favor of the council and against Dollinger, e.g. “Die Irrthumer von mehr als vier hundert Bischofen und ihr theologischer Censor” (Freiburg, 1870), and a critique of Dr. Dollinger’s declaration of March 28, 1871 (Freiburg, 1871). His pen was also active in the “Historisch-politische Blatter”, where he published (1870) a series of articles on the “Allgemeine Zeitung” and its letters from the council, on papal infallibility before the Vatican Council, and on ancient Gallicans and modern Appellants. In 1871 he published the solid study, “Das unfehlbare Lehramt des Papstes” [The Infallible Magisterium (teaching office) of the pope, Passau, 1871]. These grave and exhausting labors were crowned and partially summarized by a new work, “Katholische Kirche u. christlicher Staat in ihrer geschichtlichen Entwicklung u. in Beziehung auf die Gegenwart” (The Catholic Church and the Christian State, in their historical development and their relations to the present), together with an “Anti-Janus vindicatus” (Freiburg, 1872, 2nd annotated ed., Freiburg, 1876). The former is a thesaurus of information concerning politico-ecclesiastical conflicts of the past, and is marked throughout by an uncompromising Catholic tone. It was translated into Italian (Pavia, 1877) and into English (London, 1876; Baltimore, 1889).
The friends and disciples of Hergenrother had often urged him to compose a manual of ecclesiastical history, but the labors of the Vatican Council had left him no time for such a task; moreover, he had been considering an extensive work on Church and State in the eighteenth century. He yielded, however, to the general desire, and published his “Handbuch der allgemeinen Kirchengeschichte” (Manual of General Church History) in the “Theological Library” of Herder (Freiburg, 1876). A second annotated edition appeared in 1879; in 1880 a third volume was added, containing the notes and documentary evidence. This work was then and remains yet unsurpassed for abundance of information, accuracy of narrative, and manifold sources of historical proof. A third edition appeared (1884-86), in which the notes are no longer printed apart, but accompany the text. The writer of this article is the editor of a fourth edition (3 vols., Freiburg, 1902-1909). When it was proposed to bring out a new edition of the “Kirchenlexikon” of Wetzer and Welte, Hergenrother was naturally suggested as the savant most capable of executing this gigantic task. He accepted it, but was compelled to abandon it when scarcely begun; his elevation to the dignity of cardinal with the obligation of a Roman residence left him no freedom for the enterprise. The first volume contains many articles from his pen, some of them quite lengthy. He was unable to do as much for the other volumes—in all there are eighty-seven articles signed by him. Other minor literary tasks consumed his spare hours in the last period of his life at Wurzburg. The various subjects were Pius IX (Wurzburg, 1876); Athanasius the Great (Cologne, 1876); Cardinal Maury in “Katholische Studien” (Wurzburg, 1878); a short history of the popes (Wurzburg, 1878); the vow of poverty among the Oriental monks in “Archiv f. kath. Kirchenrecht” (1877); the canonical significance of nomination (ibid., 1878). Hergenrother’s solid and important works in the departments of church history and canon law, and his firm attitude on the great ecclesiastical questions of the day, won for him the confidence of all the bishops and Catholic scholars of Germany. In 1877 Pius IX had recognized his services to the Vatican Council and the ecclesiastical sciences by making him a domestic prelate. When Leo XIII determined to open the Vatican Archives to the scholars of the world, he found in him the savant to whom he might safely entrust the practical execution of this generous act. Hergenrother was made Cardinal-Deacon of San Nicole in Carcere, May 12, 1879, to the great joy of all German, and particularly Bavarian, Catholics. At a later date he was transferred to Santa Maria in Via Lata. He was also appointed Cardinal-Prefect of the Apostolic Archives, a new office, which he was the first to fill, and in which he was charged with the establishment of research work in the Vatican Archives and the systematizing, on scientific lines, of scholarly work amid these rich treasures. That he executed the views of Leo XIII in a satisfactory and even generous manner, is acknowledged by the numerous historical workers who have labored in the archives since 1879. Hergenrother was also a member of several Roman congregations (Index, Studies, and Extraordinary Ecclesiastical Affairs), and protector of several religious institutes. He undertook, moreover, to edit the official correspondence (Regesta) of Leo X, a rather thank-less task, and one of great difficulty, because of the exceedingly bad handwriting of that day. He was efficiently aided by his youngest brother, Franz Hergenrother, who had accompanied him to Rome. Before his death the cardinal published eight parts or fasciculi of this extensive work, “Leonis X Pont. Maximi Regesta”, Vol. I (Freiburg, 1884-85). A small part of the second volume was brought out (Freiburg, 1891) by his brother and fellow-editor, since which time the publication has ceased by reason of the latter’s return to Wurzburg as canon capitular of the cathedral.
Despite the grave burdens that now weighed upon him, Cardinal Hergenrother undertook another work of the most exacting nature, the continuation of Hefele’s “History of the Councils“, two volumes of which he published before his death (vol. VIII, Freiburg, 1887; vol. IX, 1890). The latter volume contains the preliminary history of the Council of Trent and is also a history of the Lutheran Reformation. He suffered much in the last years of his life, as the result of an apoplectic attack which crippled him grievously though it did not affect the brightness and vigour of his intellect. He was able to keep up his literary labors to the day of his death. During the summer vacation of 1880 he took up his residence in the Cistercian Abbey of Mehrerau (on the Bodensee) the hospitality of which he had more than once enjoyed. In this secluded spot he met with another apoplectic stroke, and died. He was laid to rest in the church of the abbey. In 1897 a suitable monument was erected to his memory by his friends, and dedicated (March 25).
J. P. KIRSCH