Ernulf, architect, b. at Beauvais, France, in 1040 d. 1124. He studied under Lanfranc at the monastery of Bec, entered the Benedictine Order, and lived long as a brother in the monastery of St-Lucien, Beauvais. At the suggestion of Lanfranc he went to England, sometime after 1070, and joined the monks of Christ Church, Canterbury. He was made prior by Archbishop Anselm, and in 1107 Abbot of Peterborough; in 1114 he was appointed Bishop of Rochester. While at Canterbury, he had taken down the eastern part of the church which Lanfranc had built, and erected a far more magnificent structure. This included the famous crypt (Our Lady of the Undercroft), as far as Trinity Tower. The chancel was finished by his successor Conrad. The chapel of St. Andrew is also part of Ernulf’s work. At Peterborough and Rochester, Ernulf had the old buildings torn down and erected new dormitories, refectories, chapter house, etc. He is the author of “Textus Roffensis” (a large collection of documents relating to the Church of Rochester); “Collectanea de rebus eccl. Ruffensis” in P.L., CLXIII, 1443 sqq., also of several canonical and theological treatises in D’Achery, “Spicileg.”, III, 404 sqq.
THOMAS H. POOLE