Iglesias, Diocese of (ECCLESIENSIS), suffragan of Cagliari in Sardinia. The city of Iglesias is situated near the ruins of the ancient Sulci. The territory is rich in thermal springs; several mines, especially those of Monte Porri, furnish lead, iron, and manganese. Many of the fortifications, constructed by the Pisans (formerly the masters of Sardinia), still exist. In 1323 the city was taken after a long resistance by James II of Aragon, who thus began the conquest of all Sardinia. Sulci was an episcopal see as early as the seventh century. After its decline the bishop took up his residence at the village of Tratalias; in 1503 the see was reunited with that of Cagliari. In 1763 the see was reestablished, and Giovanni Ignazio Gautier appointed bishop. The cathedral was erected by the Pisans in 1285, but has been restored in later times. Iglesias has 24 parishes with 73,000 souls, 1 school for boys, and 1 for girls.