SEEZ Diocese of (SAGIUM) embraces the Department of Orne. Reestablished by the Concordat of 1802, which, by adding to it some parishes of the dioceses of Bayeux, Lisieux, Le Mans, and Chartres, and by cutting off some districts formerly included in it, made it exactly coextensive with the department. It is suffragan to the Archdiocese of Rouen. Msgr. Duchesne is of opinion that for the period anterior to 900 no reliance can be placed on the episcopal catalogue of Seez, which we know by certain compilations of the sixth century. This catalogue mentions Sigisbald and Saint Latuinus (Lain or Latuin) as the first two bishops of the see. Saint Landry, martyr, would be the third. Some historians say that Sigisbald lived about 451 and Landry about 480; others, relying on a later tradition, assign Saint Latuinus to the first century and make him a missionary sent by Saint Clement. The first Bishop of Seez historically known, according to Msgr. Duchesne, is Passivus, who assisted at four councils after the year 533. As bishops of Seez the following merit mention: St. Raverennus (date uncertain), whom Msgr. Duchesne does not include in the episcopal’ list; St. Aunobertus (about 689); St. Lotharius and St. Godegrandus (Chrodegang), assassinated, whose double episcopacy Msgr. Duchesne assigns to the close of the seventh or the beginning of the eighth century; St. Adalhelmus (Adelin), author of a work on the life and miracles of St. Opportuna; Gervaise (1220-28), a Premonstratensian, who had the confidence of Celestine III, Innocent III, and Honorius III; Jean Bertaut (1607-11), who, with his fellow-student and friend, Du Perron, contributed greatly to the conversion of Henry IV, and who was esteemed for his poetical talents; for the occupation of the See of Seez in 1813 by Guillaume Baston (1741-1825), see Guillaume-Andre-Rene Baston.
St. Evroul, a native of the Diocese of Bayeux, founded, after 560, several monasteries in the Diocese of Seez; one of them became the important Abbey of St-Martin-de-Seez, which, owing to the influence of Richelieu, its administrator-general, was reformed in 1636 by the Benedictines of St-Maur. Rotrou II, Count of Perche, in fulfilment of a vow, established in 1122, at Soligny, the Abbey of La Trappe, in favor of which Bulls were issued by Eugene III (1147), Alexander III (1173), and Innocent III (1203), and which was reformed in 1662 by Abbot Jean-Armand Le Bouthillier de Rance (q.v.). During the Revolution the Trappists went with Dom Augustin de Lestranges, April 26, 1791, into Switzerland, where they founded the convent of La Val Sainte, but returned to Soligny soon after the accession of Louis XVIII. Among the abbots of the Trappist monastery at doligny were; Cardinal Jean du Bellay, who held a number of bishoprics and resigned his abbatial dignity in 1538; the historian Dom Gervaise, superior of the abbey from 1696-8. On the occasion of the Massacre of St. Bartholomew (1572) Matignon, leader of the Catholics, succeeded in saving the lives of the Protestants at Aleneon. The cathedral of Seez dates from the twelfth century; that of Alenpon was begun in the fourteenth. The following saints are the object of special devotion: SS. Ravennus and Rasyphus, martyred in the diocese about the beginning of the third century; St. Ceronne (d. about 490), who founded two monasteries of nuns near Mortagne; St. Cenericus, or Ceneri (d. about 669), born at Spoleto, founder of the monastery of St. Cenericus; St. Opportuna, sister of St. Chrodegang, and her aunt, St. Lanthilda, abbesses of the two monasteries of Almeneches (end of the seventh or beginning of the eighth century); St. Evremond (d. about 720), founder of the monasteries of Fontenay les Louvets and Montmevrey; St. Osmund, Bishop of Salisbury (d. 1099), who, as Comte de Seez, had followed William the Conqueror into England.
The chief pilgrimages in the diocese are: Notre-Dame des Champs at Seez, Notre-Dame du Vallet, Notre-Dame du Repos, near Almeneches, three very ancient shrines; Notre-Dame de Lignerolles, a pilgrimage of the seventh century; Notre-Dame de Recouvrance, at Les Tourailles, dating beyond 900; Notre-Dame de Longny, established in the sixteenth century; Notre-Dame du Lignon, a pilgrimage of the seventeenth century. In 1884 Msgr. Buguet, cure of Montligeon chapel, founded an expiatory society for the abandoned souls in Purgatory, since erected by Leo XIII into a Prima Primaria archconfraternity, which publishes six bulletins in different languages and has members in every part of the world. Notre Dame de la Chapelle Montligeon is also a place of pilgrimage. The Grande Trappe of Soligny still exists in the Diocese of Seez, which before the application of the law of 1901 against religious congregations had different teaching congregations of brothers, in addition to the Redemptorists. Among the congregations of nuns originating in the diocese may be mentioned: the Sisters of Providence, a teaching and nursing institute founded in 1683 with motherhouse at Seez; the Sisters of Christian Education, established in 1817 by Abbe Lafosse, motherhouse at Argentan, and a branch of the order at Farnborough in England; the Sisters of Mercy, founded in 1818 by Abbe Bazin to nurse the sick in their own homes. At the close of the nineteenth century the religious congregations had in the diocese: 2 infant asylums, 24 infant schools, 3 workshops, 1 school for the blind, 1 for the deaf and dumb, 4 boys’ orphanages, 11 girls’ orphanages, 2 refuges, 16 hospitals, 16 convents of nuns devoted to the care of the sick at home, and 1 insane asylum. At the time of the destruction of the Concordat (1905) the diocese contained 326,952 inhabitants, 45 cures, 467 succursal churches, 135 vicarates towards the support of which the State contributed.