Reconciliation, Sacrament of (Confession)
"Only priests who have received the faculty of absolving from the authority of the Church can forgive sins in the name of Christ" (Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1495).
"The spiritual effects of the sacrament of Penance are:
- reconciliation with God by which the penitent recovers grace;
- reconciliation with the Church;
- remission of the eternal punishment incurred by mortal sins;
- remission, at least in part, of temporal punishments resulting from sin;
- peace and serenity of conscience, and spiritual consolation;
- an increase of spiritual strength for the Christian battle" (Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1496).
magazine (print edition)
magazine (online edition)