Pro Quarterback Philip Rivers
Issues Special Challenge
Why He’s Helping at This Difficult Time
Dear friend of Catholic Answers:
I want to start by saying that I’m very grateful to Philip Rivers, the nationally known quarterback based here in San Diego.
If you’re a football fan, you already know who he is. He’s won numerous awards, including athlete of the year and quarterback of the year, as well as racking up a list of impressive statistics and providing hours of thrills and excitement for sports fans.
What you may not know is that Philip and his wife Tiffany have been good friends to Catholic Answers. They are devout Catholics, they have six children, and they have been kind enough to lend their names to various Catholic Answers projects over the years.
Most recently they have issued a special challenge on behalf of Catholic Answers. I’ll tell you about that in a moment, but first I need to explain the reason behind the challenge.
Catholic Answers Has Just Taken a Big Hit
This was not unexpected; It happens every summer. You see, like other non-profit organizations, we face a challenge when people go on vacation and have their schedules disrupted.
They aren’t home, or they are home but they’re focusing on summertime activities, and they aren’t supporting charities the way that they do during the rest of the year.
It’s entirely understandable, but it means Catholic Answers has a summer slump, financially.
It’s a measurable phenomenon; every year the support that we receive from donors goes down in the summer by around $100,000 per month.
Over three months, we take a $300,000 hit.
Each year we know that the slump is coming, and we plan for it. But by the time it’s over we really need your assistance. [click here to donate.]
We also know that we receive our best support at the end of the year, when people are being especially generous for the Christmas season. But there’s that gap of a few months in between, and during those months we find ourselves hard pressed.
Despite the Slump, It’s Full Steam Ahead
It’s a busy time at Catholic Answers, and there is certainly a lot of work to do!
- Catholic Answers Live is being heard on more than 200 radio stations around America, as well as on shortwave, satellite radio, and the Internet.
- Catholic Answers Magazine is growing by leaps and bounds—one of the few Catholic magazines (and one of the few magazines period) that is gaining rather than losing subscribers these days.
- Catholic.com is changing lives around the country and around the world as people log on to receive any of the tens of thousands of free resources that Catholic Answers staffers have been generating and putting online to help build people’s faith.
- Catholic Answers Forums, in particular, receive more than 1,000,000 visits a month and help the hundreds of thousands of members who have joined to connect with other Catholics online and have their faith lives enriched.
- Catholic Answers Chastity Outreach has rising stars like Matt Fradd and Leah Darrow helping tens of thousands of young people across the country as they struggle with temptations against chastity and the faith.
- Catholic Answers Seminars are held throughout America, and elsewhere, with dynamic speakers such as Tim Staples energizing crowds far and wide with the life-transforming message of Jesus Christ.
- Catholic Answers Q&A Department is responding to thousands of people eager to get their most pressing questions answered. Often these questions come at moments of spiritual or intellectual crisis, and our apologists are always there to help.
With all that Catholic Answers is doing, it makes me proud of our staff.
It also brings to mind our Lord’s saying:
“The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; pray therefore the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest” (Matt. 9:37-38).
There is so much that Catholic Answers is doing—and can do—but it requires the help of many people, particularly at this difficult time of the year, when we’ve just suffered our biggest hit.
That’s why I’m especially grateful that Philip Rivers has stepped forward to help Catholic Answers right now.
The Philip Rivers Challenge
Philip and Tiffany see the value in the work that Catholic Answers does, and they’ve made a special and generous donation to the ministry to help it “bridge the gap” until our income rebounds later in the year.
Philip has asked us not to reveal the extent of his generosity. Rather, he wants you to join him in seeing us through this difficult time.
That’s why he’s inviting you and other Catholics to help as well.
Philip has done his part to help out in the current situation, and he’d like to issue a friendly challenge to those who see the value in the work that Catholic Answers does. He challenges everyone to do their part and help out now that the summer has done its worst.
Will you join him in helping Catholic Answers do all its work, even in these stressful months before the giving season picks up? [click here to donate.]
Rising to the Challenge?
I hope that you will help us with a special donation to keep going strong until the end of the year.
It’s a matter of getting from here to there, of making ends meet during those few months.
Without generous donations from people like you, Catholic Answers would grind to a halt.
Please make a donation at this time to help Catholic Answers keep doing its work, and be as generous as you can.
If you have been financially blessed, perhaps you could give $1,000 . . . or $500 . . . or $250.
Maybe you could give $100 . . . or $75 . . . or $40.
I’d like to thank you in advance for your generosity toward the work of Catholic Answers and its work.
May I hear from you today? [click here to donate.]
President, Catholic Answers
P.S. I hope you’ll be able to join Philip and Tiffany Rivers in meeting the challenge to keep Catholic Answers going full-steam ahead in the wake of the $300,000 summer slump. Thank you for your support!