Pope Benedict Is Alarmed About
What’s Happening in America—
And You Should Be, Too!
PLUS: The Crucial Steps We Must Take
Dear friend of Catholic Answers,
If the people at the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) have their way, Catholics in America will be forced to pay for abortion drugs . . . as well as sterilizations . . . and contraception.
They announced this policy a few months ago, requiring virtually all health insurance plans to cover these evils. While there was an exception carved out for actual churches, the policy still applies to:
- Catholic hospitals
- Catholic universities
- Catholic charities
- Private Catholic schools
- Business owners who are Catholic
- Self-employed Catholics
- Everyone else who pays for an insurance policy, directly—or indirectly
There’s no question this policy is a direct, conscious assault on the Catholic Church in America.
It’s deliberate “hardball” of an unprecedented kind
Yet the HHS mandate is not the only threat to our religious liberty. The situation has been building for some time.
In fact, there have been so many infringements of our religious liberty in the past few years that Pope Benedict is alarmed about what is happening in America, and he’s given an urgent warning to the American bishops.
Prophetically, he sounded the alarm the very day before HHS announced its abortion drug, sterilization, and contraception mandate.
Pope Benedict warns the American bishops
Pope Benedict bluntly told the American bishops:
It is imperative that the entire Catholic community in the United States come to realize the grave threats to the Church’s public moral witness presented by a radical secularism which finds increasing expression in the political and cultural spheres.
He indicated that this is not a matter that should concern only some Catholics. It is a crisis that requires the attention of the entire U.S. Catholic community:
The seriousness of these threats needs to be clearly appreciated at every level of ecclesial life. Of particular concern are certain attempts being made to limit that most cherished of American freedoms, the freedom of religion.
Part of the reason Pope Benedict is so alarmed is because of the confidential reports he had been getting from the American bishops about what is going on in our country. He told them:
Many of you have pointed out that concerted efforts have been made to deny the right of conscientious objection on the part of Catholic individuals and institutions with regard to cooperation in intrinsically evil practices. Others have spoken to me of a worrying tendency to reduce religious freedom to mere freedom of worship without guarantees of respect for freedom of conscience.
Bear in mind that he was saying this even before HHS imposed its sweeping mandate.
So what’s the solution?
We’ve got to get active—or we’ll lose this fight
In the wake of Pope Benedict’s dramatic warning—and the unconscionable HHS mandate—the U.S. bishops have pulled together in a way we haven’t seen before. Among other things, they issued an impassioned call to American Catholics to take action:
As Catholic bishops and American citizens, we address an urgent summons to our fellow Catholics and fellow Americans to be on guard, for religious liberty is under attack, both at home and abroad.
They also called on Catholic publishers and others to employ “all the means of communications—both old and new media—to expound and teach the faith” on this issue, because they have “a critical role in this great struggle for religious liberty. We call upon them to use their skills and talents in defense of our first freedom.”
What we must do
If we are going to defeat the threats to religious liberty in our country, then we must take certain practical steps:
- We must learn about our rights. (You can’t defend a right that you don’t properly understand.)
- We must educate ourselves about the threats and the subtle, deceptive ways people are trying to deprive us of our rights.
- We must educate others about the threats and the need to take action.
- We must engage others and respond to the arguments of those who want to silence the Church and push Catholics out of public life.
That’s why Catholic Answers has just produced a brand-new resource . . .
Straight Talk About Religious Liberty
In response to the dramatic summons by Pope Benedict and the U.S. bishops, Catholic Answers has produced a booklet titled Straight Talk About Religious Liberty. It covers:
- The urgency with which the Church is calling Catholics to action
- Church teaching on religious liberty
- The classic American protections on religious liberty
- Recent threats to religious liberty (not just the HHS mandate—the situation is far worse than that would be by itself)
- Why Catholics must stand up at this crucial time
- What we have to do to protect ourselves against those who want to take away our freedoms
This new booklet is a companion to Catholic Answers’ other best-selling booklets on political matters: the Voter’s Guide for Serious Catholics, Straight Talk About Abortion, and Why Homosexual Unions Are Not Marriages.
Each is available with bulk discounts to make it easier to distribute them, and Catholic Answers is poised to distribute them nationwide.
I want to send you your own copies of the new booklet absolutely free, but first I need to mention something else, because there’s just one problem . . .
We need your help
Catholic Answers can’t do all of its work—including producing timely new resources like Straight Talk About Religious Liberty—without the generous support of friends like you. [click here to donate.]
We are pushing forward on many fronts, trying to bring the light of Christ to people all across America and even all over the world. We do this through:
- Hard-hitting publications such as the booklets I’ve mentioned
- Informative books, DVDs, and audio resources
- The most popular Catholic radio program in America (Catholic Answers Live)
- One of the most-visited Catholic websites in the world (Catholic.com)
- Our flagship magazine (one of the few devoted to defending the Catholic faith)
- The extensive seminar program we operate in parishes around the country
- Our efforts to educate young people (and others) about the virtue of chastity
- One-to-one conversations as we answer questions people have at pivotal moments in their faith lives
There is simply no way we can do all these things without your help, so I need to ask for your assistance at this time. [click here to donate.]
Perhaps the Lord has blessed you and you might be able to make a large donation of $1,000 or $500 . . . or $250.
Or perhaps you would be able to give $125 . . . $100 . . . or $75.
Or maybe you could give $60 . . . $50 . . . or $40.
Whatever amount you can send at this time, it will be most appreciated and will help Catholic Answers keep pushing forward for Christ’s kingdom on all fronts—including . . .
The battle for religious liberty in America
This is truly a crucial time, and if we don’t make progress now, we could see our religious freedoms—our rights as American citizens—irreparably harmed.
As I’m sure you’ve noticed, there have been more and more encroachments on our freedoms in recent years, and America is fast becoming like other countries around the world, where religious freedom barely exists.
I want America to stop rushing down this dark road, and I know you do, too.
- That’s why, as a thank-you for your gift of $40 or more, we’ll send you five FREE copies of Straight Talk About Religious Liberty.
- If you are able to give $60 or more, we’ll send you ten free copies.
Once you have these booklets, you’ll be able to hand them out and help wake people up to the urgent threats that Pope Benedict and the American bishops have been warning us about.
The hour is late, and the situation dire. In the words of the U.S. bishops, we need “all the energies the Catholic community can muster” to be focused on this issue.
Thank you for supporting religious liberty in America.
May I hear from you today? [click here to donate.]
President, Catholic Answers
P.S. Don’t forget that for your donation of $40 we will send you five FREE copies of the new booklet, Straight Talk About Religious Liberty. For your gift of $60 or more, we’ll send you ten free copies. [click here to donate.]