Catholics and the Culture War
Every Catholic Needs to Stop and Ask:
“What Went Wrong?”
If We Don’t Ask That, We’ll Never Fix Things.
Dear Friend of Catholic Answers,
It’s no secret that American society has changed dramatically—and for the worse. If you’re like me, you can remember how different things used to be and how far we’ve fallen in just a few years.
- America once prided itself on being a Christian nation.
- Catholics flocked to Mass on Sunday morning (and other days, too).
- There was prayer even in the public schools.
- Nobody filed lawsuits over Nativity scenes or crosses on public property.
- Contraception was illegal in many places.
- So was homosexuality.
- Abortion was a crime.
- Homosexual “marriage” was unthinkable.
Then all of that was swept away by the advancing force of secularism. Our culture has been turned on its head, and so today:
- If a national politician was to say that America is or should be “a Christian nation,” he’d be accused of bigotry and intolerance, and he might well lose his election.
- Attendance at Mass is a third of what it used to be.
- Prayer has been banned from public schools—even when students lead it.
- Nativity scenes and crosses have been sued off public property.
- Contraception is not only legal everywhere but the government wants to provide it to everyone free of charge as part of its new health care mandate.
- More than 55,000,000 children have been killed by abortion.
- Homosexuality not only is legal everywhere, but homosexual “marriage” is being imposed across the country.
All this leads to one, inescapable conclusion . . .
Something Has Gone Utterly, Desperately Wrong
What’s more, if we don’t stop the present trends, things will get even worse. We’re already at the point where the Faith has been largely pushed out of public life. Now its enemies are trying to stifle it completely.
If they aren’t stopped, the Church will lose all public influence, our freedom of conscience will be stripped away, and Catholics will be forced to comply with immoral government directives or be sued into bankruptcy.
The public schools will become even more forceful in their efforts to indoctrinate children with anti-Christian values, and even Catholic schools will feel increasing pressure from the forces of secularism.
Christians—after having once been the driving force in American society—will be reduced to second-class citizens.
All of this makes it critical to ask one simple question . . .
“What went wrong?”
The reason that this question is so important is that if we don’t answer it—if we don’t realize what has brought us to this point—then we never will be able to find our way back. It will only be more of the same, and the future will only grow darker—for us, for our children, and for our grandchildren.
You’ve heard the saying that those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it, and it’s true. If we don’t realize how we got here, how we fell from the position we once held, then the enemies of the Faith will continue to be able to use the same tactics against us—and continue to win.
That’s why Catholic Answers has produced a new DVD by our director of apologetics and evangelization, Tim Staples.
The DVD—titled Catholics and the Culture War—is an eye-opening look at precisely what has happened in America and how we lost so much ground.
Tim vividly demonstrates what America used to be like and how dramatically it has changed.
He reveals the hidden history and the subtle tactics that the enemies of Christianity have used to bring it almost to its knees in America.
The Enemy’s Greatest Weapon
In particular, Tim zeroes in on what has proved to be the secularists’ most effective weapon in dealing devastating blows to the Church: the U.S. court system, especially the Supreme Court.
Naturally, he covers the well-known, landmark cases that were major defeats, such as the 1973 decision Roe v. Wade, which led to the slaughter of so many millions of children.
But he also digs deeper and reveals little-known court battles—ones that many have forgotten or never even heard of but that proved just as pivotal for the secularists in their push to undermine Christianity.
On the DVD Tim reveals:
- The 1947 court battle that began the disastrous “separation of church and state” nonsense.
- The 1962 battle that banished prayer from public schools.
- The 1965 battle that paved the way for abortion and homosexual “marriage.”
- The 1973 defeat that made Roe v. Wade even worse than it would have been by itself.
Secularists used these earlier cases to pave the way for more recent ones, leveraging more and more power over American society, until the Court began issuing decisions such as:
- The 1990 case that held it is unconstitutional for a public school teacher to even be seen with a personal copy of the Bible on school grounds.
- The 1996 case in which the Supreme Court put the individual in the place of God, with “the right to define one’s own concept of existence, of meaning, of the universe, and of the mystery of human life.”
- The 2003 case that held that there is a constitutional right to commit sodomy.
And don’t expect it to stop there. If we don’t get a handle on this situation, more awful, Church-damaging decisions are headed our way.
In fact, the Court may soon proclaim that there is a constitutional right for homosexuals to “marry” each other, forcing all of society to pretend that homosexual unions are the same as that of man and woman.
The good news is that we can turn this situation around. We can regain lost ground. And we can win the battle for our culture.
But we can only do this if we understand how we got here and what steps we must take to recover from the blows we have suffered.
That’s why I hope you will get a copy of Tim’s new DVD, Catholics and the Culture War. In fact, in a moment I’m going to tell you how you can get a copy FREE. [Click here to donate.]
But first I need to mention that . . .
Catholic Answers Needs Your Help—Especially Right Now
You see, it’s summertime, and that means many people are on vacation and busy with other activities. As a result, every year at this time Catholic Answers takes a hit in its donations. We particularly need your help right now to continue all of our apologetic efforts, including:
- Getting the message out by producing informative, faith-building materials like Tim’s new DVD, Catholics and the Culture War.
- Broadcasting our award-winning radio program, Catholic Answers Live, across the country and the world.
- Producing the premier magazine of Catholic apologetics and evangelization.
- Creating dynamic online video presentations.
- Speaking around the nation and overseas.
- Answering questions for people in moments of crisis.
- And so much more.
That’s why I’m hoping that you’ll be as generous as possible at this time.
Perhaps God has blessed you and you could afford to send us $1,000 . . . or $500 . . . or $250.
Or perhaps you could send $100 . . . or $75 . . . or $40.
Whatever the amount, you have our profoundest thanks.
Plus, as a thank-you for your gift of $40 or more, we’ll send you a free copy of Tim’s new DVD, Catholics and the Culture War.
After watching this DVD, you will have a much clearer grasp of what has gone wrong in American society, how we have been betrayed by our own institutions of government, and how we can draw strength from our own Christian past to overcome the challenges we face today.
It isn’t too late for America, but we need to learn these lessons now if we are to prevent further decline.
May I hear from you today? [Click here to donate.]
President, Catholic Answers
P.S. Don’t forget that, as a thank-you for your donation of $40 or more, we’ll send you a copy of Tim Staples’ powerful new DVD, Catholics and the Culture War—absolutely free. Don’t miss out on this outstanding new resource, which provides the vital background we need to understand how America got to this point and how we can find our way back. [Click here to donate.]